Privacy describes the perceived sound reduction across a wall, a function of both sound insulation and background noise...more
Two parameters describe sound insulation; Dw and Rw. Dw is the insulation between rooms. Rw is the lab-tested insulation of a wall/floor...more
Asbestos Surveys Across the UK
Where Can Asbestos Be Found?
- Toilet cisterns can contain asbestos-reinforced resin materials
- Insulation in floor and wall cavities, lofts and insulating boards
- Artex or similar decorative / textures coating on ceilings and sometimes walls
- External / internal wall panelling particularly around windows
- Water tanks can be made from asbestos cement and is often found in pre-1980 houses
- Flash Guards on fuse wires and panelling behind fuse boxes
- Sprayed fire insulation
- Floor tiles, mastics and sealants
- Pipe works, boilers, ducts and heat exchanges
What Is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a set of six naturally occurring silicate minerals mined from rocks and used commercially for their desirable physical properties. The trade and use of asbestos has been restricted or banned in many jurisdictions in the UK.
Though three types have been widely used in building materials there are actually types of asbestos. The main ones are Chrysotile (white), Amosite (brown) and Crocidolite (blue). Blue is usually the most dangerous followed by brown and then white.
We're qualified in asbestos refurbishment, management and demolition surveys for industrial, commercial and domestic buildings covering the UK. Where required can also undertake a Commercial EPC in a cost-effective package.
All of our surveyors are holders of the BOHS (British Occupational Hygiene Society) P402 qualification - the statutory proficiency certificate in 'Building Surveys and Bulk Sampling for Asbestos'. E2 Consultants have a professional and friendly approach and our surveying team are here to help. We will work with you to create a cost-effective method and approach to your situation, to speak to one our consultants call now on 0800 043 8100 or send your query to Asbestos-Survey@e2consultants.co.uk.
What's Involved In An Asbestos Survey?
An asbestos management, or type 2, survey will have one of surveyors taken samples of suspected asbestos throughout a building before sending them off to a lab. Whilst at the property, each room and the materials used will be noted. If a room is locked or otherwise inaccessible this will be noted too as there will remain a possibility of asbestos within.
A refurbishment/demolition survey, formally a type 3 survey, will be, as the name suggests, more destruction than a management survey. This will involve a surveyor accessing areas where future work is to be undertaken by knocking through a wall or drilling into floor slabs. This is to ensure that when the property is destroyed or altered that the next team in won't risk tampering with asbestos themselves that could be damaging to their health.
Employers must undertake risk assessments before commencing work which exposes, or is liable to expose, employees to asbestos. This risk assessment must include:
- A plan of work detailing how the work is to be carried out
- Indication of any asbestos-related issues
- Provide solutions to these issues
- How to prevent exposure to asbestos or reduce it to as low a level as is reasonably practicable
Under the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012, it's the duty of the site owner of a commercial premise to identify and manage asbestos in and around the property.
Copyright 2019 E2 Specialist Consultants Limited
Company No. 06728970